Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Living with out a grocery store? I knew that was possible. I lived three months on my bicycle in mostly non-grocery lands! Yet how long could oneself go was my scientific experiment? When food choices come to anything other than the food palace? I have Arby's to Walgreens. I have about 20 places for food including a mini grocery (aldi) and a department store that has food items. All within 2112 feet. My nearest grocery store is 1.8 miles. So, Going to a grocery store I am overwhelmed by my choices. Miles and miles of food. I have a trailer so going there is not the problem. The problem is why bother with that hassle. Going to this magical place I pass all the shops I would have gone to. So while living with out a grocery store is possible. I need to change my take outs about every 4 months. Traffic. The two grocery stores offer an interesting view into the world of motorists. In my neighborhood, I traverse down a road diet 4 lanes to 3 lanes. Center, two lanes in each direction., and two bike shoulders. (not lanes) Yet very usable at this point. There are hills but it is less than three miles. The choices are adequate and price seem fine. The grocery store has been there for fifty plus years. Crystal would be considered 1st ring suburbs of Minneapolis. West side. This grocery store is served by the cardinal cross metro 7 county bus routes. North/south West/east Moving on to a township that was incorporated in the early 1900s as a farming community. The city has its own bus system, (which doesn't sync with the metro transit). So no transit for me. I have to cross a freeway, and then the motorists become maddening. I am not sure why but demographics sure has something to do with it. I fell my life is in danger just to go get food. Part of the issue lies in sidepaths. Glorified sidewalks usually on one side of the road to cut costs. To which if motorists don't want you on the road shown through their choice in speed in relation to a street setting, lawlessness, and or harassment. Then sending you to some other place and forgetting about you is what they are going to do. Only problem is every intersection no matter how small and every drive way no matter how small. Suddenly becomes a tank crossing and you get dead if you don't stop. If motorists can't see me in fornt of them. Then they can't see me off to the side. I don't feel I should have to traverse America stopping at every possible tank crossing, when the road allows me to legally sail on by at my own pace. Organic healthy grocery store is 6 miles away. I have to cross two freeways rife with motorists who don't understand the right lane is the slow lane. Or that the bridge lane is not wide enough share. Flashes of me lying on the pavement ensues. US 169 and 63rd street feels like a death spot for me. I 694/94 and county 61 is more fast suburban 7 lanes. In between these periods of stress I ride down empty residential streets and around a lake. I don't go here too often mainly because I don't feel safe getting there. 2 Bakeries A mexican place and a surplus store. I go here every so often. One is on the way to work and the other is near me. You know understand how to pick a place in relation to your house. You will need to pick. I have a bit of experience in getting this task done. So the choice was based on frequency and enough choices close by too get the job done. Whatever I was going to goto less I would live farther away from . Makes sense provided I had a trailer. The department store is a huge help with out it I would not live here. This provided enough choice for a healthy diet.