Friday, December 28, 2012

Getting my stuff.

Of course the first thing you need to do is get your stuff.  While you can do a lot with very little. Having things to make you comfortable is beyond happiness.

So with that, I rode the light rail and then walked to greyhound. I had shipped my stuff from Minneapolis on greyhound.

I had five boxes, that weighed a total 135 pounds. Many people don't weigh their stuff, but for people with out a car this is crucial to success.  Not only do you need to make sure your weight is in  control. You need to make sure all those boxes will fit on the trailer.

Somehow I got extremely lucky here by manipulating the boxes to fit.  I had also remembered to bring my bungee cord which is a sink or swim event. However with out trying this out and adding more bungee cords this is about as lucky as you can get. My bike and trailer were 60 pounds of this. So almost half which is a good thing.

The total cost to ship my stuff from Minneapolis MN to Salt Lake  UT was 290.62. The shipment was sent on x-mas eve and arrived four days latter.  Greyhound will send your stuff on the lowest priority.

First you need a trailer. I could do a pretty could job with a back rack and panniers. However when your moving its best to just get the trailer. As you can see here I can pack a pretty good load on it. This is roughly 70 pounds of gear. And we know the whole setup with the bike and the trailer is 135 lbs. I have a 5.5. miles to haul it, which highlights the mobility I have with this bicycle.